2024 International Retreat to Panama
Wednesday, January 24th - Sunday, January 28th
Early registration fee is $2250 until November 17th.
Full-fee registration of $2350 will commence November 18th
Retreat Dates: Wednesday, January 24th, 5pm - Sunday, January 28th, 11am.
An amazing line-up of learning, special experiences, and FUN has been curated for you by our tireless Retreat Committee, including:
- Dinner and private tour of Frank Ghery’s Biomuseo – situated at the mouth of the Canal dedicated to the science of biodiversity, the Isthmus, and its impact on our climate in the Americas as well as our biological species. We will learn about the Smithsonian Research Institute (STRI) and hear about this amazing 100-year US/Panama partnership for the advancement of science. We will watch the sunset and ships coming into the Canal and hear from the female engineer who oversaw the expansion.
- Panama Canal – At the canal museum on Saturday morning, we will enjoy a private tour and learn about the recently completed Canal expansion pivotal to world trade, and the engineering feats these canals represent.
- We will hear from US Ambassador to Panama, Mari Carmen Aponte, and former US Ambassador Linda Watt what we most need to know about Panama, its history, current US Panama relations, and what it’s like to represent the US in this key Central American country.
- We have been cordially invited to celebrate our last night together at the beautiful ambassador’s residence. · We will staying at the newly opened, reimagined, historic Sofitel Legend Casco Viejo, that boasts ocean front rooms, Michelin-starred cuisine, an infinity pool and world class spa, all just steps from the vibrant and revitalized old city with art galleries, coffee shops, boutiques, and bars within easy walking distance.
To book your hotel visit: https://book.passkey.com/gt/219531846?gtid=23ea9ae30db1d0bea8ded0fa7e05d3f1
If you need additional assistance or days that are not on the link above, please reach out directly to the hotel. The number of reservations is l +507 302-4300 but they also have an email which the hotel has said is a better way to communicate with reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Note from the Fun Committee!
The Fun Committee has lots of great, fun things planned for the Panama Retreat! To whet your appetite about some of the fun things to come:
- Saturday Night’s Theme is “FEMALE ICONS”: Start thinking about your costume for Saturday night’s bash and come dressed up as your favorite female icon. Will you be Madonna, Serena “G.O.A.T.” Williams, Ruth Bader Ginsburg (“the Notorious R.B.G.”), or some other bad-ass woman?
- Saturday Night Performances: Carrying on our Grove tradition, we’re seeking performers who will sing, dance, rap, juggle, perform a skit – whatever your entertainment genre, we want to hear from you! Perform as a group or go solo. Sign up here if you’re interested in performing.
- Karaoke Night: Yes, that’s right, we said KARAOKE SINGING! Marta Glazier is bringing her karaoke machine down to Panama so we Grove sisters can put our vocal chords to good use and sing our favorite karaoke songs. Submit your song requests here.
- Trivia Games: The Fun Committee has fun trivia games planned so you can get to know your fellow Grove sisters! Prizes, awards and eternal fame will be given to whoever guesses the correct answers.
REQUEST TO ALL GROVERS: We are requesting that ALL GROVERS submit 5 little-known “trivia” facts about yourself that most people don’t know about you – Click here to submit your facts!. This will help us create get-to-know you activities and trivia games to facilitate sister bonding. We would like ALL GROVERS to submit, regardless of whether you attend the Panama Retreat but ESPECIALLY if you’re attending the Panama Retreat.
Sample Sister Trivia Submission:
Your Name: Jane Doe
Your Cohort (Grover, TARA, Nyomi): TARA
5 Things Most People Don’t Know About Me:
1. I won a Taylor Swift lookalike contest.
2. I came to America as a refugee at the age of 16 with just $20 in my pocket.
3. I was the first woman elected to partner in my law firm.
4. I herded sheep in Argentina.
5. I almost won the Jeopardy! Teen Tournament… but I lost to a 17-year-old junior from MIT.